So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt.” But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”
Exodus 3:10-11 NIV
Moses is so daring to question God about His instructions to him. Maybe from this scene in Exodus 3:10-11, Moses is like a “fresh off the boat“, so curious and scratching his head and thinking of, what is this guy is actually want from me? 🤔 hmmn.
In Exodus 3, God revealed Himself, His Deity to Moses in Mt Horeb (the mountain of God). There, He revealed to Moses His divine plan of exiting Israelites from Egypt. God seen their misery and concerned about the Israelites (Exodus 3:7).
Moses doubted his ability, capability and capacity to deliver what the Lord had instructed him to do. He rejected God four times, despite God’s assurance of the “The Great I AM” will be with him in this journey no matter what (Exodus 3:14).
In the next line, we will see how Moses doubted and rejected God. But let’s learn how God answered to him and assured Him with His plan and resource to make it happen. It is in a total package like a gift, wrapped nicely. The only thing that Moses has to do is to deliver it to the recipient.
- “Who am I that I will go to Pharaoh & bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” (Exodus 3:11)
- “What if they (Israelites Elders) do not believe in me or listen to me & say, ‘The Lord did not appear to you?” (Exodus 4:1)
- Pardon your servant “O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech & tongue.” (Exodus 4:10)
- “O Lord, please send someone else to do it. (Exodus 4:13)
God’s Assurance to Moses despite Doubts
- “I will be with you. And this is the sign to you that it is I who have sent you” (Exodus 3:12)
- “I AM WHO I AM”. This is what you will tell the Israelites: “I AM has sent me to you”. (Exodus 3:14)
- God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The Lord , the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.’ “This is my name forever, the name you shall call me from generation to generation” (Exodus 3:15)
- The Lord even showed him His resource — a Staff on his hand and Aaron as his speaker to Pharaoh and Israelites, on how he will deliver Israelites from Egypt. (Exodus 4:2-9;14-17)
- You shall speak to him and put words in his mouth; I will help both of you speak and will teach you what to do. (Exodus 4:15)
I love this episode of argument of God and Moses in Exodus chapters 3 & 4. It had shown God’s character in the presence of the Fruits of the Holy Spirit. It magnify His Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Faithfulness, Goodness, Gentleness and Self Control (Gal 5:22).
Notice that Moses had 4 times he doubted God and questioning God of His capability to choose. For Moses, God is choosing him, who is Not perfect Physically and Spiritually; who committed sin in killing the Egyptian and now He is calling him to deliver Israelites? Who is he to do that?
But God is so Patient in explaining to Moses His divine plan. To show His Kindness and Goodness to Israelites, that He is Faithful to deliver His promise to their forefathers. God was seen to show His Self–Control, when in the fourth time, Moses rejected God about the calling (Exodus 4:13).
Out of God’s anger ( Exodus 3:14), instead of God scolding him, He even given solution to his problem by putting Aaron as his speaker to Pharaoh and showing him an assurance that He is behind him— a Staff to show and symbolizes His wonder to Moses first then to Pharaoh; and even to show God’s Gentleness to him instead of scolding him of his stubbornness.
It is His Love and is a Joy to Him to deliver what He had promise to us. Because God created us for a purpose of worshipping Him alone and parallel to that, was and is to bless us, and to bless us alone, always remember that. This is His Love for Us.
God is very much able to deliver His divine plan to us. If He calls us to deliver it, no matter what, whether you are incapable and not perfect of doing as such; if He calls you for something, even how stubborn you are of rejecting it, He will make it happen for you to say “Yes” to Him. He will give everything you need for you to succeed.
So with Moses. He was stubborn to listen and understand what God had planned Him to do. He is Stubborn to deliver it, BUT God’s Love is more than Stubborn to deliver and make it happen for Israelites. If Moses is Stubborn, God is telling him, “I AM Stubborn, Moses! To let My plan and purpose to you, Succeed.”
Let us find out more on how Stubborn God is, to deliver His promises for us and He will make it come to pass. Please click here to see.
All glory to God!
Click ‘stars’ to rate:
who am i? John Three Sixteen explains my faith. Proverbs Three Five and Six is my guiding principle in life. Romans Eight Twenty-Eight drives my motivation aptly. And Agape Love is my goal. i am... a Child of God. a Princess of the King. a Believer. a Christ Follower. His Beloved. His Royal Priesthood. Desiring God for His Utmost. a Wife to my Blessing- His wonder amazed me with my hubby. a Mother to my treasures ( two of His most precious). a Friend to someone who knows who am i and love them back the most. a Little ones' builder of faith. a Service Excellence and Leadership Coach an Amateur and Passionate Writer. Ukulele Enthusiast. Plays Guitar. Volleyball is my type of game.